Recipe: Spiced Lentil & Veggie Soup
Allergen info/recipe info:
This recipe is gluten-free and can be made dairy-free by using coconut oil instead of butter.
- 1 tbsp. butter/ghee/coconut oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 bunch celery (celery washed & leaves discarded), chopped into small pieces
- spices: 1 tsp ginger, 2 tsp. cumin powder, 1 tsp. coriander powder, 1 tsp. sweet paprika
- 2 black peppercorns, whole
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- coriander roots, washed and chopped
- 1/2 sweet potato, chopped into cubes
- 1 carrot, washed and chopped into cubes
- 1 zucchini, washed and chopped into cubes
- 1 roma tomato, washed and chopped into cubes
- 1/2 C. dry green/french/puy lentils- soaked in water for about 1 day beforehand (it rehydrates to about double the quantity)
- fresh herbs: a few leaves fresh oregano, a sprig of fresh thyme
- 1 cup. beef bone broth or vegetable broth
- water, extra
- To serve: fresh coriander leaves, lemon juice, (optional): sour cream & olive oil.
- In a pot heat the butter add the onion, pieces, celery, peppercorns, salt and coriander roots until the onion is soft.
- Add cubed sweet potato, carrot and zucchini, and tomato.
- Add lentils, fresh herbs , broth and water. Put the lid on and cook on low till all the veggies & lentils are soft.
- When it’s ready add the fresh coriander and lemon juice.
Serve the sour cream & a dash of olive oil (optional).