The lemon basil that I had planted a few months ago has grown quite wild, so it was time to use it! It went really well in this soup. I hope you enjoy this recipe for Lemon Basil, Capsicum and Cherry Tomato Soup.
Recipe: Lemon Basil, Capsicum and Cherry Tomato Soup
- 1 tbsp. ghee/coconut oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 bunch celery, washed and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and mashed/chopped finely
- 1 C. of cherry tomatoes, washed and sliced
- 2 red capsicums (bell pepper), washed, seeds discarded & chopped
- 1 zucchini, washed and chopped & ends cut off
- chicken broth, beef bone broth or vegetable stock, enough to cover the veggies
- a few tbsp. (or to taste) lemon basil
- salt and pepper (to taste) & few slices of fresh chilli (optional)
- In a large enough pot, on medium low heat your oil of choice, along with the peeled and chopped onion, chopped celery and the garlic cloves.
- Add the washed and sliced cherry tomatoes and the washed and chopped capsicum (bell pepper) and stir for a few minutes.
- Continue stirring and add the washed and chopped zucchini. Stir for a few more minutes.
- Add enough broth of your choice to just cover the veggies. Add a lid to pot and turn it down to very low. Cook until the veggies are soft.
- Then add the lemon basil and leave it to infuse in the soup for a few minutes (with the heat off). Blend the soup using a stand mixer or add it in batches in a blender until it is smooth and thick.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve with a few slices of fresh chilli, if you like.