Recipe: Baked Eggplant Chips with Tahini, Lemon and Honey Dip

by Michelle on June 27, 2010 · 37 comments

in Dairy Free,Healthy Snacks

How did this recipe come about? Well I was thinking about how well the cauliflower like fries turned out and I wanted to make a similar but spicy recipe, and so I saw an eggplant and “I thought yes eggplant chips”! And so eggplant chips were born!

I do have say to that I love finding healthier alternatives to common “junk foods”. To me these eggplant chips are a healthier alternative to potato chips and are pretty tasty too!

This slightly sweet tahini dip complements the eggplant chips well, is dairy-free and in this recipe is a nice alternative to tomato sauce.

I hope you enjoy these recipes.

Baked Eggplant Chips with Tahini, Lemon & Honey Dip

Paprika Eggplant Chips

• 1 eggplant, thinly sliced
  • sea salt
  • 2-3 T. olive oil
  • 1 T. paprika
  • 1 t. turmeric
  • optional: a pinch of cayenne powder

How to:

1. First prepare the eggplant by slicing it thinly and then covering each piece of sliced eggplant with a sprinkle  of sea salt. Place in a bowl for 1 hour- overnight. This step helps reduce the bitterness and baking time of the eggplant. Once that time is over and your ready to cook drain out the water that would have come off the eggplant and dry each piece of eggplant. Preheat the oven to 180 Celsius.
  2. In a separate bowl mix together the olive oil, paprika, turmeric, cayenne (if used) and a little bit of salt. Brush each piece of eggplant on both sides with the spice-oil mixture.
  3. Place covered eggplant pieces onto a baking tray and cook in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes (fan-forced) or until lightly browned and crispy.

Tahini, Lemon and Honey Dip

• 1 heaped T. of tahini
  • 1-2 T. cold water
  • 1 t. raw honey
  • optional: 1 small clove of garlic
  • olive oil
  • a sprinkle of paprika

How to:

1. Mix together the tahini, water, honey and garlic. You may need to add a bit more water to thin it out. You want it to have a syrupy texture but not watery. So adjust the water content to  get your desired texture.
  2. Pour a bit of olive oil in the middle (around 1 teaspoon) and sprinkle with paprika. Serve the tahini dip with the eggplant chips.

These two recipes are a part of Two For Tuesdays and Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays.

And Real Food Wednesdays.

Health Food Lover is Michelle Robson-Garth. Michelle is a degree-qualified Naturopath (BHSc) and Massage Therapist. She is also a passionate writer, recipe-creator and all-round foodie from Melbourne, Australia. © Copyright: 2009-2012 Michelle Robson-Garth. Please ask permission first when using any text or images on Read the disclaimer here. Have a look at the recipe index for more health food lovin’ recipes. Join the Facebook page & follow Health Food Lover on twitter.

More Posts by Michelle →
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 33 comments… read them below or add one }

melikeynolikey June 28, 2010 at 10:10 am

@LoverHealthFood had the eggplant chips at movida next door? to die for!!

LoverHealthFood June 28, 2010 at 10:13 am

@melikeynolikey I’m not sure what ‘movida’ is but I’m glad you liked the eggplant chips!

qutequte June 28, 2010 at 12:10 pm

@LoverHealthFood Thankies for yr recipe! I will try 1 of these days when I can persuade mum outta the kitchen! :)

Michelle June 28, 2010 at 12:23 pm

@qutequte: Oh I’m glad. Please let me know how it goes!

harmoniousbelly June 28, 2010 at 2:00 pm

@LoverHealthFood – those eggplant chips sound awesome! Will have to try them.

Kathy at Wellness Roadtrip June 28, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Anything with eggplant and tahini is a winner to me…I can’t wait to try it!

Michelle June 29, 2010 at 12:55 pm

I’m so glad. I hope you enjoy it!

alex@amoderatelife June 29, 2010 at 4:52 am

Oh WOW michele! Two things I adore are eggplant but I dont like it mushy and tahini, so this looks divine! Thanks for sharing the real food love on Two for Tuesday Recipe Blog hop! :) Alex

Michelle June 29, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Thanks Alex.

What I love about the eggplant chip recipe is how crispy and crunchy they are! It’s great to be apart of Two For Tuesdays! Thanks for commenting Alex and see you around!

girlichef June 29, 2010 at 3:24 pm

mmmmm…yummy! We don’t have eggplant around here too often because I’m the only one in the house who actually likes it, but I totally want to try this recipe. For me ;)

Butterpoweredbike June 29, 2010 at 8:46 pm

Can you hear me whispering to the eggplants in my garden, grow..Grow…GROW! ?! I’ve made chips from some crazy veg, but not yet eggplant. Thanks for the idea :)

Michelle June 30, 2010 at 12:45 am

Lol oh I can hear you…lets hope they do too so you can make some crunchy eggplant! Thanks for stopping by BPB!!

Elizabeth June 29, 2010 at 9:19 pm

Eggplant is great this way, isn’t it? I made some a while back with a creamy (from yoghurt) mint dressing that was stellar.

Michelle June 30, 2010 at 12:25 am

Crunchy Eggplant is so yummy! And wow, Elizabeth, that dressing sounds really nice; I love mint and yoghurt so that sounds like a great combination! Thanks for stopping by!

Bethany June 30, 2010 at 6:36 am

Oh, Michelle, this looks and sounds amazing! I have just a little bit of tahini left – I might have to try this recipe with it! I wonder if I could pack these eggplant chips for on the plane… Anyway, thanks for the wonderful recipe and for another great week for Two for Tuesday!

Michelle July 12, 2010 at 3:28 am

Thanks Beth! I reckon they could be packed for a trip!

Michelle July 12, 2010 at 3:28 am

Thanks Beth! I reckon they could be packed for a plane trip!

Kate May 30, 2014 at 12:11 am

Is overnight better or does one hour work to take out bitterness? Thanks!! These look delicious!!

Alyss June 30, 2010 at 9:17 pm

Those look fantastic!! Have you tried it without salting the eggplant? I have never salted eggplant and never had a problem with bitterness. I always wonder about other people’s eggplant experiences. The tahini dip looks absolutely fantastic. I really am going to try that.

Bethany – if you have a good lunchbox you can pack anything to take on the plane!

Michelle June 30, 2010 at 10:55 pm

Thanks Alyss. You know I haven’t tried making them without salt but I might just do that to see what effect it has! Thanks for the compliments.

Aubree Cherie July 6, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Hey Michelle,

I just wanted to let you know that I listed this recipe in my fav top ten recipes from last week post. Thanks for an awesome recipe! :)

~Aubree Cherie

Michelle July 6, 2010 at 10:59 pm

Wow thanks so much Aubree!

Becky @ Our Peaceful Home July 6, 2010 at 3:44 pm

I LOVE eggplant! That looks awesome!

Michelle July 6, 2010 at 11:00 pm

Thanks Becky! I love eggplant too!

Primal Toad July 11, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Crazy story…

My mother bought an eggplant a while ago. It sat and sat and sat in the fridge for a very long time. On Friday I made dinner for my parents and myself and decided to do something with the eggplant. I thought… why not chips? So, I put some coconut oil on aluminum foil, then placed eggplant slices on the foil and topped with with some chile. They did NOT turn out as chips but they were very good and we all loved them.

Here I am, 2 days later and I have found what looks like a fabulous recipe for eggplant chips! I will need to buy another eggplant so I can make these!! I have never come across an eggplant recipe nor have I tried to make them before Friday!!

This will be getting some love next Saturday ;)

Michelle July 12, 2010 at 3:26 am

Thanks for the compliments Toad.

Your recipe sounds great! I love coconut oil ohh and chile too yum!

Yeah I really like these chips, they’re pretty tasty! I’ve had some good feedback about this recipe, so I hope you like them too!
You know it’s amazing how there are so many foods I have yet to be try and eat…one benefit of a healthy diet I hope is to live long enough to try every food in the world lol. Well that’s my aim anyway haha!

Paola December 24, 2010 at 4:54 pm

This recipe is delicious! Thanks for sharing

Michelle December 26, 2010 at 7:45 am

Thanks Paola!

Josh December 13, 2011 at 9:47 pm

do you bake them flat on a baking pan? do they need to be flipped to achieve crispiness?

has anybody ever tried doing this on a pizza stone?

Michelle December 14, 2011 at 4:14 am

Hi Josh.

It would be a good idea to flip them! I haven’t tried making them on a pizza stone, but that is a great idea.

Josh December 14, 2011 at 8:10 pm

they came out very tasty, but i sliced a bit too thin. i think i need to flip them earlier too (i did after ~15 minutes) because a lot of them were pretty stuck to the pan. i’ll be making my second attempt very soon.

Michelle December 15, 2011 at 5:44 am

Hi Josh. Oh I’m really glad they worked out well for you! Thanks for commenting!

Tanja July 25, 2014 at 12:10 am

Is there supposed to be lemon in this? It’s in the title, but I don’t see it in the recipe. Thanks!