Welcome to magical deliciousness known as Coconut Creme Brulee. For this recipe I’ve used coconut cream instead of dairy cream- but it still has just the right amount of creaminess and is still really yummy! I love how creme brulee has a crunchy sugar layer and than smooth creamy custard underneath. It’s something everyone should try making at least once for the taste alone!
Recipe: Coconut Creme Brulee
- 200ml coconut cream (or use 100mls each of coconut cream and dairy cream)
- 1 T. vanilla extract
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 t. coconut sugar
- plus 1 T. extra coconut sugar
- Heat coconut cream and vanilla in a double boiler till it’s almost at a simmer. Take off the heat.
- In a separate bowl beat egg yolks with coconut sugar till creamy.
- While whisking, add one tablespoon at a time of coconut cream to the egg mixture until it is all whisked through. You have now tempered the eggs.
- Prepare your baking tin by filling it with just boiled water and place your ramekins in the tin.
- Pour and strain your custard and then pour it into the ramekins which are in the tin and surrounded by boiling water.
- Cover the tin with tin foil and bake in the middle shelf of the oven for 30-40 minutes at 120 degrees C (fan forced) or until set yet wobbly in the middle.
- Once set, take them out of the bain-marie to cool down on the counter, then place in the fridge to set (3hrs-overnight).
- Once cooled and set, add sugar and cook with a blow torch (or put under a broiler/grill) till the sugar layer melts and becomes hard and crispy.
- Leave again to cool on the counter than place in the fridge to completely cool.
- Once cooled, it’s time to eat!