Lately I’ve been craving a creamy hot choc-type drink. ButÂ I wanted to make a dairy-free version (as sometimes I like toÂ use ‘alternative’ milks, to get more variety in my diet) andÂ I was planning to haveÂ this at night that meant I didn’t want to have something that would prevent me from sleeping (ie. caffeine) so I opted for the caffeine-free Carob powder. And so was the beginning of my Creamy Hot Carob & Coconut Drink recipe.
I have to say though,Â I definately do love chocolate. Here are a few ofÂ my other chocolate recipes (allÂ delicious, healthy & contain wholefoods):
- Cute and Sweet: Matcha Mint & Choc Mint Spelt Cupcakes
- Chocolate Tahini Bars (raw)
- How To Make Your Own Raw Chocolate
- Raw Chocolate Ganache Cake
- Raw Cacao & Goji Cookies
So by all means you canÂ use cacao powderÂ instead of carobÂ powder if you prefer. I personally do like carob for its malty-richness.
If you choose to use cacao powder rather than carob, you may like to also put a piece of dark chocolate in your drinkÂ once you have heated the milk so it slowly melts (which is really yummy!) This would also be delicious served with a small meringue on top or homemade marshmallows. This drink also happens to me dairy-free & refined sugar free! So enjoy!
Creamy Hot Carob & Coconut Drink
- coconut milk, enough for two people (if its too thick add a bit of water to thin it out)
- 2 tablespoons of carob powder (or cacao powder)
- water,Â to dissolve the carob powder
- a pinch of sea salt
- maple syrup, sweeten to taste
- a pinch of cinnamonn, to serve
- In a glass jar mix the water and carob till it becomes a smooth paste. Add the coconut milk, sea saltÂ and stir to combine.
- Heat the jar with the carob-coconut liquid in a smallÂ saucepan half-filledÂ untilÂ your drink isÂ frothy and hot.
- Pour the hot drink into cups and sweeten with maple syrup and a pinch of
I shared my post with Amy Green’s Slightly Indulgent Tuesday 23/2/2010.